After much pulling of (what's left of my) hair, the CVS server on commons.ucalgary.ca is running again. Turns out that Panther handles password differently than 10.1.5 did (yes, our server was that out of date...), so the pserver barfed on authentication attempts.
Connecting to the CVS server via SSH works like a charm.
It's a trivial change to make on the client side. Change your to
Really should have been running under SSH all along - pserver is a gaping security hole, with the plaintext passwords passed through the pipe...
Handy links for this process:
- Concurrent Version Librarian (CVL) - a handy GUI for managing CVS modules.
- SSHPassKey - bbum's handy dandy SSH pass key gui thingy, so CVL can get your SSH password securely. (VersionTracker page for download)
- MacDevCenter article: Version Control on MacOSX
- Apple Developer Connection article: Version Control with CVS
- SilyTech article: How to set up a cvs server on MacOSX 10.3 Panther