It was a quiet week, but maybe that gave burnout a chance to catch up to me. I don't know how to explain it - I've worked much harder before, but there's something about my current role that seems to keep me constantly close to the edge of burning out. I need to figure this out. I'm not going to speculate publicly, but there are some things I'm going to tweak in the next few weeks, and throughout the coming year. This stuff is too important to just keep trying to brute-force my way through it, hoping things will magically change. It doesn't work that way.
- Zygote Quarterly issue 17, vol. 1 â€“ 2016 - an absolutely beautiful science magazine, published by one of the PhD students in the Computational Media Design program at UCalgary.
- Angus McDowall and Ellen Francis: Thousands evacuated from Aleppo after deal over besieged villages
- Cory Doctorow: Ten of 2016's most notable African science fiction and fantasy stories
- Dave Gershgorn: We don't understand how AI make most decisions, so now algorithms are explaining themselves
- Adrienne Matei: Know your triggers, and other tips for dealing with family conflict
- Jason Kottke: Rogue One, engineering ethics, and types of resistance
- Mark Frauenfelder: What every website knows about you
- Dan Misener: Online profile pictures leave lasting impressions, researchers say
- Haboun Bair: Creating a course trailer
- Jessica Snow: The #EDUC201 Digital Poster Fair: Bridging the gap between theory and practice
- Caroline Siede: Here's what happens when you change the term "political correctness" to "treating people with respect"
- WordPress â€“ Convert MyISAM to InnoDB might need to look into converting the older wordpress tables in the database to InnoDB for row-level locking. This might explain much of the performance problem I'm seeing on UCalgaryBlogs…
- Wikipedia Year in Science incorporated into science writing assignment | UToday | University of Calgary The Wikipedia Year in Science is coming to a close this December. And thanks to students in an introductory geology course at the University of Calgary, 39 new articles on women in geoscience are now available online
- GitHub - RethinkRobotics/baxter_interface: Baxter Research Robot Python Interfaces for the Baxter SDK Python interface classes and action servers for control of the Baxter Research Robot from Rethink Robotics
- GitHub - ptsteadman/baxter-teleoperation: Python code to teleoperate the Baxter industrial robot using Kinect, Oculus Rift, and a web interface. Python code to teleoperate the Baxter industrial robot using Kinect, Oculus Rift, and a web interface.
- Baxter Teleoperation: MSc Robotics, Plymouth University - YouTube
I took a day off and went to Sunshine Village with a friend on Tuesday. It was easily the best ski day of my life. An almost-empty ski hill (compared to what I'm used to), on so much fresh snow. And it snowed all day. Amazing. And, we had the added experience of being near the top of Lookout Mountain in complete whiteout conditions. I need to get in better shape before heading out again, though. Ouch.