The owners ratified the agreement today (after the NHLPA already ratified it), meaning hockey's BACK! I suggested that the Learning Commons needs a superbox at the Saddledome. Nobody else thought we could sneak that into the budget.
Loving the new rules for the NHL. Should make for a much faster game! And shootouts to break ties? Awesome.
TSN.ca - NHL - Canada's Sports Leader
One primary objective of the new rules will be to reduce the scope of defensive "tools" a team may effectively employ, and to create a corresponding benefit to the offensive part of the game â€“ thus allowing skill players to use their skills and increasing the number and quality of scoring chances.
- No more ties - shootouts!
- Two-line passes - should keep things faster going from defense to offense
- Restrictions on goalies - bigger five-hole, less out-of-net play
- Bigger offensive zone - biggest change here is shrinking the neutral zone, and moving the nets closer to the boards to reduce camping
- Changes to icing - preventing dumping
- Instigator rule - bigger penalty for being an ass at the end of a game. good move
- Officiating - zero tolerance, and stuff to keep play moving fast
- Unsportsmanlike conduct - the Anti-Bertuzzi clause
- Competition committee - good to see Iggie and Shanahan representing the players